Monday, January 25, 2010

Whoopie Pies

Okay, I know that these are popular in some parts. But I'm in Canada, and apart from hearing them mentioned by Americans on forums, I have never had any experience with them. Until this weekend.

It was my turn to make snack for church, and for whatever reason I decided that I wanted to do a filled cookie. I think I was inspired by a marshmallow filling recipe in my Mennonite Treasury cookbook. I remembered the concept of the Whoopie Pie, and began looking up recipes. The one that I came across didn't use marshmallow fluff in the filling, which was good, since I had none. Comments were made about the extreme sweetness, so after reading a bit more I decided to add coffee to the icing sugar mixture by way of steeping it in the warmed milk, which I then cooled and strained. The finished recipe was actually quite good, though I cannot imagine being able to use all of the frosting. A large amount is produced by this recipe.

And here it is. My take on the Whoopie Pie.



Mocha Whoopie Pies

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons milk

Filling
4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon ground coffee (not instant)
4 tablespoons butter or shortening, softened to room temp
3-3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 425. In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil until crumbly. Add eggs and beat well. In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture. Add milk and mix together well.

Scoop out small mounds of batter and place 2 inches apart on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake at 425 for 5-6 minutes or until tops are cracked. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.

Filling: Heat milk slightly and add coffee grounds. Let steep until cool. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and confectioners' sugar. Strain the milk and beat into the sugar until fluffy.

Spread filling generously on to flat bottom of cooled whoopie pie and top with another whoopie pie to make a sandwich.

Makes about 1 dozen complete cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment