Monday, October 19, 2009

Gourmet coming up

Some years back we had a group in our church simply called "Gourmet." A few of us (7 or 8 or so) got together every couple of months for a feast. The hostess would set the menu and assign each person her recipe. We'd arrive, dish in hand, and enjoy a wonderful meal together. I hosted a couple of times and it was such fun.

We've started the group again, with a few new faces. And I am hosting the inaugural dinner. I decided, given the time of year, to do a harvest feast. The menu is as follows...

Amuse Bouche (a palate teaser to awaken the taste buds) - Crisp Potato Canapes with Caviar

First Course - Rustic Tomato Emmental Tart

Salad - Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon and Cider Dressing

Bread - Epi de Ble Baguette

Main Dish - Pork Loin in Cider Sauce with Cracklings

Side #1 - White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Side #2 - Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Autumn Fruits

Palate Cleanser - Sorbet de Pommes Vertes

Dessert - Autumn Trifle with Roasted Apples, Pears and Pumpkin-Caramel Sauce

Drinks - Apple Cider and Coffee with Ginger Spice Syrup

We meet next Monday night, and I think everyone is looking forward to it. I am providing the drinks and the palate cleanser, which is a totally optional course that I threw in for fun. Normally there is a soup and salad, but I shifted the person on soup to an amuse bouche course, again for fun. And because I thought the meal would be too heavy with a soup as well as everything else.

I need to check on decorations. I have no clue where to find autumn coloured serviettes, now that Thanksgiving is over. Go figure. But I may be able to score some orange ones. I'll have to look around. This is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment