Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Not the most amazing chocolate chip cookie in the world

So many blogs out there boast THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've seen them described as everything from amazing to orgasmic (seriously? Not going there). Everywhere you look, someone has THE combination of butter, flour, sugar, eggs and chocolate that everyone has to try.

Is this recipe one of those? Nope. But I like it. It's my go to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It belonged to a friend, and when my husband tried them he asked me to get the recipe. So I did. They are very basic, with no fancy chocolate (though I suppose you could buy some) and no prolonged preparation. Beat like mad, mix, stir, bake. Simple and good.

Simple Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 C room temperature butter (needn't be unsalted)
1 C dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp real vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 C flour (you can use up to half whole wheat)
chocolate chips (as many as you like - I tend to use about a cup)

Beat the butter and sugar until light. Add the egg and beat like crazy (original instructions from my friend). Add the corn syrup, vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated (at this point yesterday I added a heaping tablespoon of instant coffee granules). Mix in the baking soda and flour and stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by small spoonfuls and bake in a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes.

The corn syrup helps keep the cookies moist even if you leave them out on the counter overnight (like I did last night), but you can omit it, or use maple syrup, which I did once. I get about two dozen out of this, but it depends on the size spoon or scoop I use.

Once again the kids (and husband) are happy. There are chocolate chip cookies in the house and all is right with the world. These might not be worth a million dollars, or bring one to the peak of sexual pleasure (again, seriously?), but they are an honest, straightforward cookie and we like them.

5 comments:

  1. I love your write up!! And being on the quest for "the best cookie recipe" I will have to try these just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are in the oven right now! I did notice that in the write up you said to add the salt but in the ingredient list you do not have salt. I added 3/4 tea...hope that is close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed the recipe. Let me know how 3/4tsp works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are lovely! and not too much salt. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete