Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Frustrated

Our sweet 5 year old boy has a peanut allergy. That alone is enough to break my heart. But what I absolutely hate is when people argue with me about it. I had a woman just this week demand to know what all of his possible reactions are, in writing, in response to my telling her that the building we were in has a nut free policy in place (she was handing out snacks that were not safe, according to the policy outlined by the leadership). She expects a list posted so as to convince her and others not to bring in snacks which are not safe. Why can't a directive from our leadership be enough? If I tell her he's never had an anaphylactic reaction, I'm sure she will decide that it's fine to bring in snacks that ought not be there. Another person brought a pecan pie to a potluck. HELLO? It's a NUT-free policy. And my husband was questioned about why it couldn't be put out.

It bothers me to no end that people actually take it personally that the snacks they've brought are set aside because the leadership has said that everything has to be nut free. Not only for our son's sake, but for the sake of at least one other child who is there regularly, and the children of those visiting who may be allergic. And it's not just peanuts. There is one girl who visits occasionally who is very allergic to tree nuts.

While there is the chance our son will outgrow this allergy, we cannot assume that it will happen. It would be nice if people would put aside their own sense of entitlement and accept that it's not that important to be able to bring in those grocery store bakery items that say "may contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts" or something similar. There are alternatives out there, even if they don't want to bake things themselves.

I know this is more rant-y than I would normally post in my blog, but I am really quite frustrated right now and need to get this out of myself, if only for the therapeutic value. I'll post something lighter soon. Promise. :-D

1 comment:

  1. Agreed!! I'm a teacher and most schools in our area are peanut free, but some people just don't seem to understand (or don't want to understand) that peanut products are a BOMB for some children. We had a student once who had a 3 minute window to get her EPI pen injection before she went into full shock from contact with ANY peanut product.

    Rant away!!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete